So North American National Day was absolutely amazing!!! After rehearsing for all hours of the night the entire week prior, Calgary House's proud North American's awoke at 7:15 in the morning (not early on a weekday, but definitely waaaaay early on a weekend!) to cook pancakes for the rest of the house. We then decked ourselves out as cowboys, cranked up teh country music and paraded through teh hosue waking everyone up for pancakes adn a day full of workshops and North American culture. Personally, as soon as the food was done I headed back to bed for another two hours! On Friday night we had had a NorthAmerican style drivei n movie on East house lawn. Basically a whack of students huddlded up on the grass with a tonne of blankets to watch the highly american classic ... GREASE! It was pretty cold, btu we sang along adn cuddled up ... and then a huge vat of hot chocolate arrived, along with cinnamon buns. It was a good time.
But anyways, back to Saturday. So we had workshops running all day long, just general things abotu north america (I've becoem too lazy to capitalize that each time!), such an inuit games, bannock bread baking, and, of course, hockey playing! I had rehearsals all afternoon, so didn't make it to any of the workshops. I also had a tonne of homework adn so I headed out to the dock to seclude myself and get some work don.e It was really nice, the sun was shining and all these friendly boaters kept motoring past on their way to the harbour. And then at 5:00 we had the famous national day dinner. Everyone hardcore dresses up and goes with a date and teh caf actually serves nto half bad food. And there are tonnes of pictures taken. Tonnes. I even brought my camera and went a little picture crazy, so I'll be posting pictures soonish. (assuming I can figure out how).
And then comes the greatest part (in my humble opinion) the national day show!!! All three of my acts went really really wel! As did the rest of teh show. the Quebecois finalyl got the rhythm of their song moreor less right, the cheerleaders didn't drop anyone, no guitar strings broke, all the cotumes stayed intact and no one fell during swing dance. Supposedly teh videos will be posted on youtube, so I'll post the link once they're up. I was in swing dance adn cell block tango, both of which turned out great! After the show we got so many compliments and hugs and all round happiness! And then we had a high school style party afterwards, with really old music like spice girls, I"m a Barbie Girl, and ust crazy stuff like that. Surfin' USA! It was lots of fun.
Then on Sunday I had soooo much work to catch up on, I spent all day at church, on teh phoen or working. Apart from house meeting, which was absolutely hilarious. We did one of those activities where you're blindfolded and you feed your partner ice cream ... I was partnered with Sherdina from ARuba and she ended up getting ice cream all over my face, no thanks to a little help from a no-good Singaporean! Then I headed back to the lab to finish off an essay ... which I never did finish ... I just got too tired. I did it this afternoon and got it in 3 minutes after the deadline, technically I was doen on time, but Rhubini and I couldn't figure otu how to work the stapler in teh mail room ... which delayed us a good ten minutes, thereby making us late for the deadline. Thank goodness our teacher hadn't checked his mailbox yet!
Tonight seems very anticlimactic htough. After the crazy preparations for national day and the crazed dash to get homework done last night, tonight seems somewhat dull. I have little to no homeowrk, and no rehearsals. though! I did have an amazing rehearsal today! For the GO-Go-Grannies project this weekend I'm going to be doing a traditional Chinese fan dance. So the first rehearsal was todya. Turns out there are only four people in teh dance, Beini from china, Charlotte from china (or Hong Kong .. can't quite remember) and Siyu from China. and Me! But the dance is amazing. It's so traditional. I"m even learing the traditional dance step that they used in order to look liek tehy're floating when they wear their kimonos. It's pretty neat stuff. And we get these huge flapping fan type things. There's a video on youtube of the PEarson college group who did it last year .... but it was a considerably larger group!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0CvdQSA1Hg
That's sort of the idea, though ours is a lot more slow. Anyways, thats it fro now. I have a hot chocolate date with a few friends in an hour and I should do some studying before then!
No comments:
Post a Comment