Thursday, October 4, 2007

It's long ... and dreary ...

Hey guys! So today was yet another crazy day at Pearson. I once again tried to get out of bed intime for breakfast and once again failed miserably. I am determined to make it there tomorrow morning, seeing at which its the last day of the week I shouldn't be worried about losing sleep hours at that point! So my day started off with chemistry (woohoo!), which was a disappointment since all we were doing was reviewing Tuesday's test. Then I ran off to TOK, only to find that class was cancelled. So I spent a nice free block in my room, writing letters and searchinghigh and low for some laundry detergent (which I never did find and so have still not washed my clothes ...). Then the famous cookie break. for those of you who haven't had this fabulous tradition described to you yet, basically at 10:00 every morning everyone (and when I say everyone I mean everyone, teachers, students, housefellows, admin, maintenance, etc.) congregates in the cafeteria to chat and eat cookies for 15 minutes. It is also the thermos refilling time so that we don't freeze to death in our next two classes. After cookie break I had math another free block (this one is scheduled though, so I knew about it) and then math class. Lunch was surprisingly tasty, but then again even the most unskilled cook (myself) couldn't ruin a make your own sandwich buffet! anyways, after lunch was french class, definitely one of my favourites so far. Our teacher is this french woman who seems absolutely terrifying at first, but is really highly ridiculous and enjoys a good laugh. Anyways, I'm realizing how entirely boring this post must be. So on to more interesting things (in theory).

I keep getting struck with how entirely bizarre this community is. I was running today just by myself and came across my chemistry teacher, so we ran together for a bit and then I, full of spritely youthful-ness, left him in the dust! But things like that are entirely commonplace. Anyways I just had an entirely eye-openign conversation (those seem to be in abundance tonight, as this is the second one). But the guy sitting next to me in the computer lab was showing me pictures of his village. And then he came across one and was like "oh yeah, this is from after the war". He's from Lebanon and his village is right next to the Israeli border, last year during the Lebanon-Israel war huge parts of his village got destroyed. Both his neighbor's houses were reduced to rubble. I just can't even imagien what that would be like! It was my first truly Pearson experience. But can you imagine, he said he stayed in his village for eleven days of war and then finally decided to leave! I just can't wrap my mind around it ...

Anyways, I'm finally starting to get a flavour of what schoolwork here is like. A lot of it is self-initiated. The teachers teach you and then you have to teach yourself the next bit in order to complete the exercises. It's really a foreign system, to me, but seems like a lot of fun (so far ... once I'm stressed out and confused beyond belief I may not admire the system to the same extent). We're currently setting up our project weeks. Which is basically a week where we're kicked off campus and told to do a service project. I'm fairly excited. I had a really great project lined up, but teh administration vetoed it due to security reasons. Unfortunate, but I've got another good one lined up. A whole bunch of us are heading to Vancouver where we're going to stay in a hostel for a few nights (like 5) adn work at a food bank. Then, Rhubini and I are going back to Victoria to participate in the Modal UN conference there. Should be a fun week.

Anyways, that my extended update for today!

No comments: