Sunday, December 14, 2008

It's snowing!

I know I said there would be no more posts this year ... but it's snowing! For over 12 hours now :) (well ... not quite I guess ... but almost). We were having our house dinners last night and BAM! IT started snowing. So of course a whole bunch of people ran outside and started dancing around and screaming and stuff ... but the truth is that it wasn't really snowing. But then, after all the dishes were done it was really snowing. There was snow staying on the ground. People were making snowballs .... however the snow wasn't really all that sticky so they were more like handfuls of puffy snow. But the idea was nice! :) So Rhubs and I headed around campus in search of Sarah to fully celebrate her first snow (Rhubini's that is, not Sarah's!). Most peoples' first snow. However, not before I left the kitchen and found Rhubini hiding in her bed. She was excited when it was first "snowing" however when it got real she got cold and ran away to hide in her bed! Well ... that just wasn't acceptable! So of course, I found her, introduced her to the concept of ski pants, three sweaters, hats, ski gloves (which I still had from skiing last year) and other such important items of clothing. And one of the many many hills around here had been turned into a sledding hill. It was covered in ice because so many people had been walking up and down it as the snow fell in order to get their dishes into the cafeteria for washing. And Juan Pablo had the sledding cafeteria tray out. It's a passdown from when there were snows in past years. It has snowboarding stickers on it. Just an extra detail. So people were sliding down the hill and stuff. IT wasn't a very long route, but for some reason it was highly exciting, you sort of went down the hill and then it veered off sideways and you ended up outside the math room. However, after most of the people left, Juan Pa realized that if you started far enough to the left you could steer a tiny bit with your hands and not fall off the sidewalk, hence going much further. Of course, after the sidewalk, there was a drop-off. Basically, there was a thick tree stump (BC size trees ... not Manitoba size north-wind eaten babies) and then a grassy (now snowy) slope all the way down to the student common room. So when it was my turn to go down the lengthened route, I of course didn't manage to stop and ended up going around the stump haphazardly and all the way down the cliff. I use the word cliff lightly. Definitely more extreme than any MB sledding I've ever done, but for those of you who were there, you know it wasn't entirely a cliff! Anyways, I ended up going over the cliff.o the problem is, the first part is basically a drop off, which meant that the as soon as I passed the stump, the people at the top couldn't see me anymore. But it was so exciting! So that became the new game, achieve the precise steering required to go over the cliff. It was great fun. And then we woke up this morning (or okey, I woke up this morning, I think I may the one of the only one's awake!) and it's still snowing :) The trees are covered and the snow is almost a half a foot deep. The forecast says it is meant to stop snowing at lunchtime-ish, but the weather will stay below zero so the snow shouldn't be disappearing anytime soon. 


So yeah, that's my story. Just wanted to post it. But I promise, I'm not procrastinating. I'm actually working. Well ... sort of. I'm in the spanish room working the radio equipment for Dani's theatre project this afternoon. So you see, I'm just using time wisely. And now, I'm going to post this and then pull up my chemistry lab and work on it. While still working the radio equipment. Now what kind of multi-tasking is that ?! :) 


On another note, I'm concerned that we may not make it to church today. As of yet, Wayne and Peter haven't come out yet to plow the hill. Without that, I doubt the vans can make it either up or down the hill...


ps. I'm wearing shoes (sort of) ... what a tragedy. 


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Claire: I am stalking your blog.
Please update regularly. Or you can just email me.
How are our snow neophytes enjoying Manitoba winter?

- Compost Girl